DIY Holidays: Painted Cork Coasters.

I hate to play favorites, but I think I saved the best handmade holiday gift idea for last this week — painted cork coasters. Using plain cork coasters, I painted stripes and color blocks in pink, teal, and gold, and then finished off the top of them with a matte sealer to keep them waterproof. You could play around with color combinations that match your gift recipients’ home and style to make a customized gift, and pair them with their favorite wine or spirit. Are you trying any homemade gifts this year?

Cork Coaster 1 Cork Coaster 2 Cork Coaster 3

Looking for more DIY present ideas? Check them out here.

9 responses to “DIY Holidays: Painted Cork Coasters.

1. Alyssa December 6, 2013 at 9:56 am

These are adorable…and so easy to personalize!

2. Dariel December 6, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I love this! I’m trying to make lots of homemade gifts this year and this is a great addition to the list.

3. Marte Ravn Tovik December 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Oh, I love this! They look great :)

4. Your favorite Godmother! December 9, 2013 at 9:32 am

‘morn’in Miss Kate – Ok, so I went to Ocean State Job Lots, bought the spoons (FYI, $2.99 for 5), came home and go started with my wooden spoon project. I taped them off with painter’s tape, spray painted the stripes and was very surprised with I took the tape off. They all bled . . . a lot of blurred lines. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

5. domestikatedlife December 9, 2013 at 9:56 am

Good question Cece! 1) I used acrylic paint and then sealed it after with a clear finish — so I had a little more control over the paint. 2) make sure the tape is sealed down very good and then don’t peel it off until it’s 100% dry — you might get extra bleeding if it’s not totally dry.

6. Jaime Lynn (@laviejaime) December 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

very cute!! fun color combo too. i like how they arent too xmas-y

7. Katie December 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm

These are cute! I love simple DIY gifts.