One of my favorite nerdy cooking challenges I like to give myself each year is thinking of new ways to use leftovers after the big Turkey-Day feast! Sometimes it feels like those leftovers can last for weeks, and you’re eating turkey sandwiches until you never want to see another turkey again until next Thanksgiving. I made a few of the Thanksgiving classics and experimented with a new idea for leftovers this year: layering them into a Thanksgiving leftover inspired pot-pie! Everything in this recipe can be pulled from your holiday leftovers. Start with some pie dough leftover from your holiday baking, toss in chopped up turkey and keep it juicy with some leftover gravy drizzled on top, and layer it with leftover mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce before baking with another layer of pie crust on top. The result is a slice of Thanksgiving that has just about every key leftover packed into each bite! My husband jokingly suggested that I should call this Pilgrim Pie, a rustic little nod to Thanksgiving’s roots, and I think it fits the dish perfectly! Earmark this one for your turkey-day leftovers next weekend, full recipe below:
- Pie Crust, make extra when cooking your thanksgiving pies, or grab a store-bought crust
- Leftover Turkey, about 1.5 Cups
- Leftover Gravy, about ¼ Cup
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes, about 1 Cup
- Leftover Stuffing, about 1 Cup
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce, about ½ Cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide pie dough in half and roll out a 9" round of dough and lay it inside a pie dish.
- Fill the bottom of the pie dish with leftover turkey, cover the turkey in leftover gravy.
- Press leftover mashed potatoes on top of the turkey, and then layer the leftover stuffing on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Top the pie layers with the leftover cranberry sauce, even distributing and pressing into the stuffing.
- Add the top layer of pie dough on top to seal the pie closed (try a lattice woven crust to let the cranberries peak through!).
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until crust is golden brown and insides are bubbling hot, serve immediately.
SHOP THE POST