Feel that crisp, cool air? Feels like fall is here! I know everyone gets all pouty that summer is coming to an end, but not me. Bring on the boots and jeans and cozy sweaters, and most of all: bring on the apple picking and the baking! I got the baking bug this weekend and was inspired to test out a recipe inspired by IZZE’s sparkling apple flavor — a flavor full of that perfect green-apple tartness. The result? A mini apple-toffee “pie-let” — the name my husband dubbed this sweet treats when he saw them cooling on the counter. Full recipe below:
- Pie dough (use this recipe to make your own, or if you’re in a pinch, store-made works too!)
- 3-4 Green Apples (Granny Smith works great!)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- Chopped toffee bites (you can get pre-chopped Heath Bar in the baking aisle)
- Egg white wash
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice apples, add to a small saucepan with butter, sugars, spices and a pinch of sea salt.
- Let the apple mixture combine over medium heat until apples just begin to soften. Set aside and cool.
- Roll out pie dough on a floured surface (my marble pastry board is awesome for this — find a cheap one here!) and use a glass or bowl to cut out 5″ circles.
- Place about 2 tbsp of apple mixture in center of pie circles, leaving 1″ diameter around the edge, repeat with half of the remaining pie pieces.
- Top all of the pie bottoms with sprinkled toffee bits, and then add second piece of pie rounds to the top (consider cutting out a cute shape at the top for decoration).
- Seal the edges of the top and bottom crusts by rolling the edges in and crimping with your fingers or a fork.
- Sprinkle with more toffee bits and using a pastry brush, brush on egg white wash.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, serve while warm with IZZE Sparkling Apple.
Ahhh these look so good Kate!!
UMMM UMMM.. Good.. just right for the season. Winner
Oh my GOODNESS I need one of these right now. So adorable and creative!!