We have reason to celebrate! It’s National Coffee Day! I shouldn’t just be celebrating today because there’s no way I would have survived this year as a new mom and business owner without copious amounts of coffee, let alone every Monday for the past few decades. Everyday is a coffee celebration in my book. Seeing that today is the official day for coffee though, I had to do something special, and decided to make a batch of mini-coffee cake style donuts to pair with a strong cup of coffee.To make the donuts, I used my trusty mini-donut baking pan which produced a cake-like donut texture. I love all donuts, believe me, but the baked variety works well for this recipe because it’s closer to a coffee-cake texture and is perfect for dunking in a cup of bold, hot coffee. The base recipe is simple, seasoned with some vanilla and cinnamon. A trick to getting the baked donuts to turn out in the right shape is to flip them about 2/3 of the way through baking. Once they’re done, I let them cool slightly and dunk them in a light glaze, and added a coffee cake-style crumble to the top of them. I could eat a whole bowl of just the crumble (and actually, confession: I probably did while testing this recipe). For my coffee of choice to pair with my donuts, I went with the Green Mountain Coffee® Autumn Harvest Blend, a nice medium roast that fits the season. I brewed my coffee in the new Keurig® K-Select™ Coffee Maker; it has a “Strong” button that brews a stronger, bolder, more intense coffee. Stronger coffee? Yes, please.The sweet, buttery taste of the mini coffee cake donuts is a perfect complement to the strong, bold cup of coffee. Alternating those sips and bites is a delicious way to celebrate National Coffee Day, and frankly, a pretty good way to start any morning! Get the full recipe below:
- ⅓ Cup of Whole Milk
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, Melted
- 2.5 Tbsp. of Honey
- 1 Egg
- ½ Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¼ Cup of Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
- For Glaze:
- ½ Cup of powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Whole Milk
- ¼ Tsp. of Vanilla Extract
- For Crumbles:
- ¼ Cup of White Sugar
- ¼ Cup of Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp. of Butter, melted
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 1 Tsp. of Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and grease a mini-donut baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together milk, butter, honey, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and cinnamon just until ingredients are combined.
- Pour batter mixture into a pastry bag (or a plastic bag with one corner cut off) and pipe the batter into the donut pan channels, about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 6 minutes, remove pan from oven and use a fork to flip the donuts, and return to the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Prepare glaze and coffee cake crumbles while the donuts cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to create glaze.
- In another bowl, toss together white sugar, brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon. Work mixture with your fingers to incorporate the butter and dry ingredients until crumbles form.
- Dunk each donut into the glaze and then top with a sprinkle of the coffee cake crumbles, let the glazed donuts set for about 15 minutes before serving.
SHOP THE POST
This post was created in partnership with Keurig Green Mountain®; all opinions, images, and content are my own.