A big hearty breakfast sandwich is the way to my heart, and I made a special, savory cheddar waffle version in partnership with EatingWell magazine for their May issue to get inspired for Mother’s Day brunches. The waffles are full of the flavorful Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar, made with milk from grass-fed cows that are raised on small, family-run Irish dairy farms. I used more of the cheddar to melt in between fried eggs and crispy bacon — the best ingredients make for the best tasting dishes. Get the full recipe below, and catch it in the EatingWell issue on newsstands now!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1.5 Cups of Whole Milk
- 5 Tbsp of Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, melted
- ½ Cup of Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar, shredded
- 1 Tbsp of Mixed Savory Herbs, minced (your choice: rosemary, thyme, chives, scallions)
- Additional Cheddar, cooked bacon and eggs, and desired toppings for assembling sandwiches
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Whisk 2 eggs, milk and melted butter together and pour into the dry ingredients; whisk until the batter is combined. Fold in the shredded cheddar and herbs of your choice.
- Pour a heaping cup of the batter onto your waffle iron and cook until the waffles are cooked through and have a golden-brown hue.
- Repeat until all of the batter is used, and assemble your breakfast sandwiches using the warm waffles, additional melted cheddar, cooked bacon and eggs, and any desired toppings.
Please note: This post was created in partnership with EatingWell magazine. All opinions, images and content are my own.