This weekend I was in major need of some comfort after a long string of holiday parties and maybe a few too many glasses of champagne (shh!). My usual go-to comfort food is a bowl of pasta, but I decided to mix it up this time and try a savory chicken dish with a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce, lots of sautéed mushrooms and shallots, and a little crispy bacon and goat cheese just to amp up the richness. Full recipe below if you’re in need of comfort food too!
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 2 large Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 small shallots
- 2-3 slices of thick cut bacon
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil (reserve oil)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup of light cream
- 1 tbsp of goat cheese
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for garnishing
- 2 sprigs of fresh tarragon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on high and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and brown in the hot pan on both sides.
- While the chicken is browning, roughly chop mushrooms, shallots, bacon and sun-dried tomatoes; mince garlic.
- Remove chicken from pan when cooked through, add 1/2 tbsp of the sun-dried tomato oils and 1 tbsp of butter to the pan, then toss mushrooms, shallots, bacon, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté mixture. (Scrape the pan to loosen any browned bits from the pan).
- Lower heat to medium and stir in 3/4 cup of light cream, 1 tbsp of goat cheese, and 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese; stir continously to break down the cheese and incorporate the tomatoes flavors with the cream.
- Add the chicken back to the pan while the sauce cooks and thickens.
- Remove from heat, garnish with fresh parmesan cheese and torn tarragon leaves.
- Try serving over pasta or a bed of spinach.
mmm this looks so good
yum! i am all about the one pot skillet recipes.
man, I still haven’t picked up a cast iron skillet. maybe Santa will read my mind. or your blog 😉
I made this twice this week. First time with chicken (served over couscous) and then again 5 days later with shrimp (over gemelli). I made a few tweaks I wanted to share but first wanted to thank you for such an amazing comfort meal on these freezing Boston nights.
Tonight I subbed chicken with Shrimp, and just used the TJ’s precooked shrimp and heated up a bit and seasoned with garlic and butter to replicate the brown bits the chicken left. Swapped fat free half and half for the light cream and increased to 1 cup to try and stretch out the sauce. Bacon – I used thick cut but tried the Wegman’s thick sliced maple hickory and the sweet smokiness added such a nice subtle undertone to the dish and served over gemelli. I could not find tarragon – so sprinkled a bit of parsley flakes to brighten for the picture.
Love that!! So glad to hear you liked it! Shrimp is such a smart idea!