With the weather getting cooler, the holidays inching closer, and my pregnant silhouette getting bigger and bigger by the day, all I really want to do on the weekends now is cancel plans, hibernate by the fireplace, and indulge in some rich, tasty snacks. Those savory appetizers that can almost replace a whole meal have been front of mind for me, and I got an idea for this one after Family Circle Magazine asked me to create a holiday dish that featured California Walnuts. Their nutty flavor paired with crisp diced apples that are cooked down with sugar and spices and drizzled over the warm brie for a sweet and savory appetizer that will impress your guests this holiday season! Check out the write-up in this month’s issue of Family Circle Magazine, and access the recipe below:
- 1 (13 ounce) round of brie
- 1 apple, diced
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- Sliced and toasted baguette and apple slices for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place round of brie on a small baking sheet on top of parchment paper. Bake about 15-17 minutes or until softened, remove and set aside on a serving dish.
- While the brie bakes, heat up the diced apple, walnuts, honey, brown sugar, butter, and spices over low heat in a small saucepan until sugars dissolve and apples soften and the walnuts toast (about 7 minutes).
- Pour over the top of the heated wheel of brie and serve immediately with toasted baguette and apple slices.
Please Note: This post was created in partnership with California Walnuts and Family Circle. All opinions, images, and recipes are my own.
This looks so good and hopefully not too hard to make for a get together c friends or surprise a special someone a date night.