I have to start this blog post with an apology to my bestie, who is the biggest fan of my Rice Krispy treat recipe but also a total RKT purist. She texts me every time she sees me posting about new Rice Krispy treat experiments that I should just stick to the classics please, because you can’t improve this perfect, buttery, sweet dessert. So sorry buddy, I’m at it again, but I do think you might want to give these a try because I gave my favorite recipe a s’mores spin this time around.We took a little day trip up to visit some of my husband’s family at their lake house in New Hampshire and I wanted to bring a summery dish along with me. It was a warm day and a long car ride, so I needed something transportable and the idea hit me to make something s’mores-y. It’s really peak s’mores season with all of the warm summer nights and grilling and bonfires. Rice Krispy treats start with marshmallows and I figured a little graham cracker and chocolate mix-in would do the trick to give them a s’mores flavor. The base of the recipe is my classic Rice Krispy Treat (don’t mess around with that recipe on the box guys, they never use enough butter). I swapped out a cup of the Rice Krispy cereal for one cup of graham cracker crumbles. About half of them got fold into the mixture after cooling for a few minutes (which is key, otherwise they’ll get soggy), and the remaining half got pressed into the top with chocolate chips. When serving these in the summer, the warm weather and humidity can cause these gooey treats to stick together on the plate, so I like to wrap them up in parchment paper strips and a bit of bakers twine. Plus they look darling when displayed on a plate! Get the full recipe below:
- 5 Tablespoons Of Butter
- 6-7 Cups Of Mini Marshmallows (One Full Bag)
- Dash Of Salt
- 4 Cups Of Rice Krispies
- 1 Cup of crushed graham crackers
- ⅓ Cup of mini chocolate chips
- Combine Butter, Mini Marshmallows, And Salt In A Large Pot Over Medium Heat.
- Heat The Mixture While Stirring Constantly Until Marshmallows Are Melted And Fully Combined With Butter.
- Remove From Heat And Fold In Rice Krispies and half of graham cracker crumbles Until Fully Incorporated Into Marshmallows.
- Press Mixture Into A Rimmed Sheet Pan Lined With Parchment Paper.
- Top with remaining graham crackers and chocolate chips after cooling for 5 minutes and press mixture down again.
- Let The Rice Krispy Treats Sit And Solidify For At Least An Hour Before Cutting Into Them.