You know I love a good theme. In fact the only thing I love more than a good theme, is to bring that theme to life with fun food ideas. Weekend football viewing is sort of a big deal around here, and so I’m always thinking of fun ways to make snacks for these cozy fall gatherings around the TV (and then I store all of these ideas up for that realllly big football game that happens in February so you guys can make them at home!). I have a new one to add to my files that I can’t wait to share with you here today – mini football crab bites! I mean, these are pretty darn cute, right?
They’re super easy to make – the process is actually just like making a meatball, you mix together some finely chopped veggies and herbs and bread crumbs with an egg and your protein. But instead of using beef in a meatball, you use crab in these crab bites. I used Louis Kemp Crab Delights® — it’s made from real Wild Alaskan Pollock and is a less expensive alternative that still gives you the crab flavor and texture – which means we can make this recipe more often for football snacking! The crab bite gets lots of texture from the Louis Kemp Crab Delights®, and minced bites of carrots, red bell pepper, and fresh herbs. We also packed these bites with flavor by mixing in some Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and a touch of garlic. Once everything in mixed together, they get formed into compact little balls and then shaped into footballs on a baking sheet. The trick to getting these to keep their shape is chilling them down in the freezer for a few minutes to firm them up! They’ll retain their shape and structure better after chilling when you’re crisping them up in a hot skillet. After we cook them up, I like to finish them off with some “football laces” made out of piped sour cream, and serve them with a chipotle sour cream dip. It’s a little bit cool, and a little bit spicy – a perfect combination of these super cute and tasty mini football crab bites! Get the full recipe below:
- 1 Large Carrot
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1.5 Cups of Louis Kemp Crab Delights®
- 1 Cup of Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Scallions
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- ½ Cup of Sour Cream, plus more for garnish
- 1 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- In a food processor, add carrot, red bell pepper, and clove of garlic and pulse to chop for about 30 seconds until veggies are broken down. Add Louis Kemp Crab Delights® and pulse 15 more seconds to combine ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine crabmeat and veggie mixture with breadcrumbs, parsley and scallions; toss lightly to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with Dijon and Worcestershire.
- With a fork, fold in the wet ingredients to the crab mixture, fluffing the ingredients together until just incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop out small 2” ball portions of the crab mixture, and tightly pack it into a ball – squeezing out any excess moisture. Set the crab balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and press them down to form the football shape; repeat to create 10-12 crab-bite footballs.
- Chill the crab bites for 10 minutes in the freezer to firm up their shape.
- While crab bites are chilling, prepare the chipotle dipping sauce. Combine sour cream and chipotle pepper in the food processor; pulse until smooth.
- Heat a drizzle olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and add the crab bites to the pan when hot. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side, until crispy golden brown and cooked through.
- Once the crab bites are golden brown, remove them from the heat and let them rest on a paper-towel lined baking sheet to cool slightly. Place sour cream in a pastry bag or sandwich baggie, and cut a tiny hole in the corner to pipe the football laces on each football shape with the sour cream.
- Serve the cooked football crab bites over a bed of greens, garnish with scallions and the chipotle dipping sauce on the side.
Please note: This post was created in partnership with Louis Kemp Crab Delights®. All opinions, images and content are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support this site!