At the end of the year, I went back and looked all of the posts I’d written to try to gauge what sort of topics were most popular. I had a good laugh, because man you guys LOVE my super-indulgent, over the top, high-calorie recipes. The top recipes were full of heavy cream and lots of cheese and I totally respect that because I would eat that way every day if I could! My guess is though, that like me, you’re all probably on that January healthy-eating-kick that catches on as we regret the weeks of holiday indulgence. I’m taking it one step farther this month and actually signed up for Weight Watchers (I have my sister’s wedding this fall that I’m determined to slim down for!) and have made it my mission this month to add more healthy eating ideas to the blog that are just as tasty as my cheesy, caloric entertaining ideas you loved last year. It’s a challenge, but one that I’m excited to take on! To kick it off, I thought I’d share this side dish that we have been making on repeat at our house: Garlic and Herb Mashed Cauliflower.Cauliflower has been our go-to for healthy eating ideas recently because it’s so low-calorie, pretty filling, and it can take on tons of different flavors and textures. We were buying the Trader Joe’s mashed cauliflower from the frozen food section, but I wanted to take a stab at making my own. It’s fairly easy with the right tools. I steamed a whole head of cauliflower on the stove until the stems were soft enough to break apart easily and then transferred it to a food processor where I added in flavor from the garlic, herbs, and a bit of parmesan cheese and butter. Enough time in the food processor will give it a smooth, fluffy texture that mimics a serving of rustic mashed potatoes, and the garlic and herbs pack the cauliflower with lots of flavor. We’ve been making this quite often because it goes great with fish, steak, or roasted chicken and reheats really well for leftovers the next day to bring for lunch. Get the full recipe below, and let me know in the comments if you try it!
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 4 Tbsp of Butter
- ¼ Cup of Fresh Parsley
- ¼ Cup of Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup of Milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Remove the stem and greens from the cauliflower head and chop into small pieces.
- Over a pot of boiling water, add cauliflower pieces in batches to a steamer basket or mesh strainer; steam cauliflower for 4-6 minutes until they begin to soften and easily break apart. (I did this in 2-3 batches to allow the cauliflower to steam evenly).
- Transfer the steamed cauliflower while still hot to the food processor, and add in finely minced garlic, butter, parsley, and parmesan cheese. Turn the food processor on high for 2-3 minutes to break down the cauliflower and incorporate the ingredients.
- Once the large pieces are all broken down, add the milk to the food processor and continue to blend the cauliflower mixture for another 1-2 minutes, until smooth and full combined.
- Season well with salt and pepper before serving, garnish with additional fresh herbs.
SHOP THE POST
This looks so delicious. I’m trying to eat more veggies and this recipe will make that easy!
This looks awesome! I am going to try it tonight with grilled pork tenderloin. I have to ask – can you post the recipe for the meat and mushrooms in the picture with the mashed cauliflower! It looks like a tasty healthy meal. Thanks!