Make room on your Easter brunch menu for this buttery, dense, and fragrant orange poppyseed bundt cake! I love making a bundt cake for a brunch because the presentation is just WOW when you display it in all its glory, a sweet orange glaze dripped over the ridges and glistening with flecks of orange zest and poppyseeds. Don’t be intimidated by using a bundt pan, give it a good coat of butter, dust it lightly with flour, and if you have any parts that stick you can always cover them up with the glaze! I love this recipe because it’s a little bit dessert, a little bit breakfast pastry, and an all around crowd pleaser – get the full recipe below!
- 1 Cup of softened butter
- 2 Cups of white sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tsp of vanilla extract
- ¾ Cup of buttermilk
- ½ Cup of fresh squeezed orange juice, plus zest
- 3 Cups of flour
- 1 Tsp of baking powder
- ½ Tsp of baking soda
- ½ Tsp of salt
- 1 Tbsp of Poppyseeds, plus more for garnish
- For Glaze:
- 1¾ cups confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease a Bundt pan with butter and dust lightly with flour.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs to mixture one at a time and beat until well combined; add in vanilla, buttermilk and orange juice.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and then add to the wet ingredients, continuing to mix to combine all ingredients. Stir in poppyseeds.
- Pour batter into Bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Let it cool slightly before inverting and removing from the pan.
- To make the glaze: combine sugar, orange juice and zest, butter, and vanilla in a bowl, whisk together until smooth.
- While cake is still warm, pour the glaze over the top and garnish with additional poppyseeds, let it cool before serving.
SHOP THE POST
Do you add the poppyseeds with the salt or sprinkle on top of the glaze?
Good catch! I folded them into the batter, and then used some extra to garnish the top!