This granola bar recipe is an old favorite from my blog archives, and I pulled it out this weekend for a little experiment with my new heart tray I picked up at Target! Instead of slicing the granola bars into bars, I pressed into the heart molds and added a few heart sprinkles onto the top and bottom, and they were a BIG hit. My one tip is to make sure you press them into the molds really hard so they compact down tight and stick together! This recipe contains peanuts and peanut butter, so leave out the nuts and swap for a nut-free if you’re planning to make them for a lunchbox snack. Get the recipe and the supplies below!
- 2 Cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 Cups of oats
- 1 Cup of chocolate chips
- ½ Cup of chopped peanuts
- ¼ Teaspoon of salt
- ¼ Cup of honey
- ½ Cup of light brown sugar
- 1 Cup of peanut butter
- In large bowl, toss together cereal, oats, chocolate chips, peanuts and salt until combined.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine honey, brown sugar and peanut butter and heat for 45-60 seconds. Stir the warm mixture to combine the ingredients and set aside to let it cool slightly.
- Pour the slightly cooled peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and combine until fully incorporated.
- Line an 8x12 baking dish with parchment paper and press the granola bar mixture into the dish firmly, until evenly dispersed and packed to the edges. Or press the mixture into a heart-mold, pack the mixture very well until compressed.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour to firm up the bars.
- Flip the chilled mixture out on a cutting board and slice into bar-shaped pieces; store in an air-tight container.
SHOP THE POST