This post was created in partnership with Keurig Green Mountain® . All opinions, images, and ideas are my own.
With a theme like pumpkins and apples, I was pretty sure that most of the recipes brought to the potluck would be on the sweeter side. We had lots of baked goods (and no one was complaining!) featuring these fall flavors, and served with warm Green Mountain™ Hot Apple Cider (made with real apples!) brewed at the touch of a button from my Keurig® K475 brewer. The hot apple cider is such a perfect fall treat, with hints of cinnamon and brown sugar. With all of the sweet flavors, I decided for my apple-themed recipe I needed to bring something a bit savory to the table to balance out our menu and pair well with the Green Mountain™ Hot Apple Cider. Apples go so well with the sharp bite of cheddar and gruyere cheeses, so I used those flavors as a foundation for a savory, autumnal flatbread. The pizza-dough based flatbread was topped with thinly sliced apples, a cheddar-gruyere cheese blend, and sweet caramelized shallots. Once it came out of the oven I topped the pieces with fresh sage leaves that gave the dish color and some fresh herb flavoring. It was a hit with my guests, and was a perfect compliment to the sweet dishes and warm Green Mountain™ Hot Apple Cider at the event. Full recipe below:
- 2 Larges shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Cups of shredded Cheddar and Gruyere
- 1 Large apple, thinly sliced
- Pizza dough
- Olive oil oil
- Sea salt
- Sage leaves
- Green Mountain™ Hot Apple Cider
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combine sliced shallots and butter. Cook over low to medium heat for 15 minutes until shallots are reduced and caramelized.
- While shallots cook, grate 3 cups of cheddar-gruyere cheese; thinly slice the apple.
- Roll out pizza dough on cornmeal dusted baking sheet.
- Drizzle the edges of the pizza dough with olive oil and sea salt.
- Arrange the cheese, apples and shallots on the pizza dough and transfer the whole pizza to a pizza stone (or a baking sheet if using one).
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes until golden brown, broil for the final 30 seconds to crisp the shallots.
- Garnish with fresh sage before slicing and serving and pair with Green Mountain™ Hot Apple Cider!