Puff pastry has to be my all-time favorite entertaining secret! I always keep some in the freezer and you can pull it out to make an endless combination of easy desserts, brunch treats, and appetizers. I was brainstorming some new appetizers to make for the Oscars next Sunday night, and I always love to include a puff pastry snack (because you know all of those skinny actresses LOVE buttery, flaky pastry dough — ha!). This puff pastry creation has just 5 ingredients: asparagus, prosciutto, black pepper, and an egg wash over that buttery, rich dough. Check your frozen puff pastry’s ingredients for real butter and you’ll know it’s the good stuff, it makes a huge difference when you bake these these savory little snacks off for your celebration. Get the full recipe below:
- 1 Sheet Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 Bundle of Asparagus (about 18 stalks – bottoms trimmed)
- 6 Slices of Prosciutto
- Black Pepper
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry and cut into six 4” squares.
- On top of each square place one slice of prosciutto and 3-4 stems of asparagus, and season with black pepper.
- Fold the puff pastry corners towards the center, pressing to seal it closed.
- Whisk one egg with a tablespoon of warm water, and use pastry brush to lightly coat the dough with an egg wash.
- Bake in a 425-degree oven for 17-20 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
SHOP THE POST