With the weather getting cooler, the holidays inching closer, and my pregnant silhouette getting bigger and bigger by the day, all I really want to do on the weekends now is cancel plans, hibernate by the fireplace, and indulge in some rich, tasty snacks. Those savory appetizers that can almost replace a whole meal have been front of mind for me, and I got an idea for this one after Family Circle Magazine asked me to create a holiday dish that featured California Walnuts. Their nutty flavor paired with crisp diced apples that are cooked down with sugar and spices and drizzled over the warm brie for a sweet and savory appetizer that will impress your guests this holiday season! Check out the write-up in this month’s issue of Family Circle Magazine, and access the recipe below:
- 1 (13 ounce) round of brie
- 1 apple, diced
- ¾ cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- Sliced and toasted baguette and apple slices for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place round of brie on a small baking sheet on top of parchment paper. Bake about 15-17 minutes or until softened, remove and set aside on a serving dish.
- While the brie bakes, heat up the diced apple, walnuts, honey, brown sugar, butter, and spices over low heat in a small saucepan until sugars dissolve and apples soften and the walnuts toast (about 7 minutes).
- Pour over the top of the heated wheel of brie and serve immediately with toasted baguette and apple slices.
Please Note: This post was created in partnership with California Walnuts and Family Circle. All opinions, images, and recipes are my own.