I had a perfect fall Sunday — we picked up some pumpkins for our porch, played outside with Jane, and watched football. During Jane’s nap time I had a few items on my to-do list that needed to get done, so of course I decided to procrastinate and do a little baking. That perfect autumn weather was calling me — it was so nice to turn on the oven without worrying about heating up out kitchen. I was craving something sweet and pumpkin-y, but had a bunch of too-ripe bananas that needed to be used up. So I tested a banana-pumpkin batter to make these tasty little muffins. They have the density of banana bread, a sticky moist texture from the sour cream, and all of the flavors of sweet pumpkin spice. Jane woke up from her nap and was delighted to find the results of my to do list procrastination, she gobbled up a muffin in minutes and was standing on her tippy toes to grab a second one off the counter. Get the full recipe below!
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp. Allspice
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
- ⅓ Cup of Sour Cream
- 3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
- 1 Cup of Pumpkin Puree
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl: Flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Add in the sour cream, mashed bananas with the pumpkin puree and stir to combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient mixture until just combined.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin tins until ¾ full. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown. Let them cool on a wire rack before serving or storing.
I just made this recipe and it is awesome!! I mixed some semi sweet chocolate chips into half to see how it would taste and-it tastes good with the chocolate chips too!!
Thank you for sharing!
Oh I love the idea of adding chocolate chips to it! I’m so glad you liked the recipe!
Yummy! I just found your blog from a friend on Facebook . I actually knew your mom , dad and their families from Katonah! I can remember your mom pushing you in the stroller❤️I just made these muffins! I shared a pic with your dad! ! Love your recipes. I am sure I will be making more! Good luck with your new cookbook!
Too funny! That’s so great.
I’m so glad you liked the muffins — thanks for following!
I’ve been wanting to make these since you posted and I finally did tonight – worth the wait! I didn’t have sour cream so I used Greek yogurt (and added some chocolate chips to half the batch). Can’t wait to share with co-workers!
Oh I’m sooo glad to hear that!! Love your tweaks to the recipe, I definitely need to try them with chocolate chips!