Roasted butternut squash is one of my favorite fall treats, it’s like an autumnal harvest in every single bite! I’ve wanted to try a stuffed version that turns this sweet and savory squash into an entree and packed to the brim with even more seasonal flavors. This recipe brings together fragrant shallots, crumbled sausage, mushrooms, Swiss chard and quinoa for a hearty addition to the butternut squash. You can also leave out the sausage to make it a meat-free dish, I think this would be a lovely dish for a vegetarian Thanksgiving! Get the full recipe below:
- 1 Small Butternut Squash or Honeynut Squash
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Large Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup of Crumbled Italian Sausage
- 1 Cup of Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 Cups of Swiss Chard, roughly chopped
- 1 Cup of Quinoa, cooked
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy flesh before lightly seasoning with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place face down on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the filling. In a pan, melt 2-3 Tbsp. of butter and sauté the sliced shallots until softened. Add the crumbled sausage to the pan and cook until browned. Next, add the mushrooms and swiss chard to the pan; sauté until the greens and mushrooms are softened.
- Fold the cup of cooked quinoa to the sausage and vegetable mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take the roasted butternut squash and fill the hollow center with the sausage, quinoa and vegetable mixture. Return to the baking sheet and cook an additional 5 minutes in the oven; serve immediately.
SHOP THE POST