The team at Martha Stewart Living sent me a little care package this month with a challenge! The December issue features some amazing pasta dishes with just 5 ingredients, making them perfect weeknight meals (which is so crucial during this busy time of year!). Armed with a box of Barilla® Rigatoni, their new issue for inspiration, and a cute new serving bowl from the Martha Stewart Whim Collection, I was challenged to create my own 5-ingredient pasta dish. Loving the fall flavors of a brown butter sauce and sweet seasonal squash, I narrowed down my five ingredients to butter, Parmesan cheese, sage, walnuts and butternut squash (plus some salt and pepper!). The result was a hearty autumn meal with a balance of sweet and nutty flavors (and it’s so easy too!). Full recipe below:
- ½ lb Barilla® Rigatoni
- 2 Cups of butternut squash
- 7 Tbsp of butter
- 2 Tbsp of fresh sage, chopped
- ¾ Cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese
- Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil
- Cube butternut squash into ½ inch pieces, and toss with salt, pepper and olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Bake the squash for 35-40 minutes at 450 degrees, until the cubes are soft and browned.
- While the squash is cooking, boil a pot of salted water and cook the Barilla Rigatoni to al dente texture.
- Drain the pasta, reserving ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- Return the empty pot to the stove and add 7 tablespoons of butter, cook over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes just until the butter starts to get browned.
- Add in chopped sage and walnuts to the butter and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Toss pasta and butternut squash into the butter mixture over low heat; fold in Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with more freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped sage.
SHOP THE POST
Please note: This post was created in partnership with Martha Stewart Living and Barilla®. All opinions and images are my own.