We have been spacing out our grocery store visits quite a bit during social distancing, so getting creative with what’s in my pantry and making use of every-last-ingredient in my fridge has been a big part of mealtimes lately. We started the year off with a resolution to eat a bit less meat and swap in a few more vegetarian meals in an effort to have a lighter impact on the environment. It turns out our meat-free meal idea has translated pretty well to the current hunkered-down situation. This recipe is a winner for one of those meatless Monday lunches or dinners because it only takes about 15 minutes to make and uses a few simple pantry ingredients and my favorite Little Leaf Farms greens mix! I love that Little Leaf Farms has eco-friendly growing practices that align with our resolution to have a lighter impact on the environment. The fact that the greens are grown locally makes a big difference to me – the lettuce is fresher and it takes way less food miles to get it to my table. I tossed some of the greens from their red and green leaf mix (my fave) with a simple vinaigrette – use whatever your favorite is or shake up some of your own with olive oil and vinegar. The bright, crunchy lettuce and tart vinaigrette get added to the top of a bowl of warm polenta mixed with sharp cheddar cheese. Instant polenta is such a good pantry item for quick dinners, it takes just minutes to make and can be dressed up with herbs and your favorite cheese (parmesan works well too). A jammy soft boiled egg adds a bit of protein to the dish (a fried egg or poached egg would be delicious too!) and some buttery sautéed mushrooms add a bit of umami that brings it all together. Scroll down for the full recipe and give it a save for a night when you need a speedy dinner idea (or give it a try on Earth day — April 22nd — for a meat-free dish!).
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Instant Polenta, prepared
- 1 Cup of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1.5 Cups of Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Cups of Little Leaf Red and Green Leaf Mix
- Vinaigrette of your choice
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Chives, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- Measure the amount of water you need to prepare your Instant Polenta, salt the water and bring to a boil.
- Use a slotted spoon to gently place the eggs in boiling water, cook for exactly 7 minutes and transfer to an ice bath to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Return the water to a boil and cook in the instant polenta as directed; stir in shredded cheddar cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the eggs and polenta are cooking, melt butter in a small saucepan and cook mushrooms for 5-7 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the dish by dividing the cooked polenta and mushrooms into two bowls. Lightly dress the mixed greens and arrange on top of the polenta. Garnish each plate with a tablespoon of chopped chives and fresh black pepper.
- Peel and halve the cooked eggs and finish each plate with the soft-boiled eggs before serving.
Please note: This post was created in partnership with Little Leaf Farms. All opinions, images and content are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support this site.